Monday, September 13, 2010

SNAKE!!!

It's early Spring...

The weather's really warming up, flowers are blooming, my feet aren't cold on the wooden floors any more, the cats are sunning themselves outside wherever they can....

Then there's the end of hybernation for all the snakes! Last Thursday night there was a 3 metre python in our neighbour's front yard, within a few metres of ours. I don't hate snakes, but I'm scared of them. I'm very understanding of how challenging it must be for animals caught up in suburbia, trying to survive and procreate without getting killed by us humans. But when there's one right in our area that I know can kill my kitties, or our chickens, or strangle me from behind whilst watching TV, or dislocate its jaw and swallow me whole as I'm in a deep slumber... (Cue: gloomy undertone of nervous music in background to create dread and suspense.) Yep. My imagination runs away from me. Even the little lizards can't make a move in the rustling leaves of our garden beds without me going all girly and "eeky" thinking it's the KILLER PYTHON WITH FANGS OF STEEL. It reminded me of a lyrical poem I wrote not that long about snakeskin. It's 'lyrical' because in my mind when I recite it there's a very clear, blockbuster movie style, backing track......

Snake skin, lying in my way

Drying under hot sun, messing up my day.

It lies there like a beacon, reminding me that pain

Is all about the misery and nothing left to gain.

It’s a…

Snake skin, its owner has moved out

Fucking little creature, how dare you shed your doubt.

You leave me here with your past

Rotting on the ground,

Like the past is nothing, no lessons to be found.

It’s a…

Snake skin, its owner's far from here.

Leaving skin to rot, and me with all my fear.


I'm pretty big on metaphors or symbols, so writing this poem not only highlighted a certain anxiety in me about snakes but also about life and worrying as much as I can about the 'what ifs'. We all do that, I think. But when it becomes all consuming it can leave you rather detached from what is going on around you now. I have spent a lot of time living in the future or deep in the past. I now realise that I have much to offer the present. Now. And I have much to gain from slowing down and appreciating the joys and stimulation that frequently surround me.

At this moment, the sun is getting close to setting, so it's all large and orange and beautifully glowing over the town my house is perched up the hill from. The window to my playroom is open and birds are chirping in all their different tunes. Hubby has just pulled up in the car, having finished his working day. We're having felafels for dinner. Yummm... Such wonderful, pleasant thoughts.

Love, warmth & light,

Dayle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here...